FP McCann Storm Water Management System to provide flood relief to Leicestershire town
As part of a £1.8 million scheme to upgrade 1.5 km of sewerage and surface water drainage network in Hinckley, Leicestershire, FP McCann are supplying pipes and attenuation units to provide greater raw sewerage capacity and below ground storage capability to prevent flooding to local properties.
In a particularly restrictive area of road where there is limited opportunity to install manholes at junctions, the client, Severn Trent Water and their consulting engineers have specified the use of two types of side entry manholes as part of the in-line foul water system.
The straight through DN 1800 side entry manholes consist of a standard 2.5 metre Easi-Flex pipe with a wide wall manhole chamber fabricated onto the pipe barrel to form an access shaft. The spigot and socket end cap side entry manhole pipes have an additional cast-in end wall and holes cored for inlet/outlet drainage purposes. The two units in combination will provide the necessary storage and controlled sewerage drainage run-off within the existing carriageway.
In total, 16 side entry manholes will be supplied to civil engineering contractor Active Tunnelling for the Sunnydale Rd phase in combination with standard DN1800 Easi-Flex pipes. Where a limited number of conventional manholes are to be located, DN1200 and DN1500 Easi-Base units have been specified.
Gary Brookes, FP McCann's Area Sales Manager (Mids) comments, "We have worked very closely with both the client and contractor involved in the works to establish the most efficient and cost effective attenuation system. Design modifications are on-going as we meet different challenges on this site, but we are confident we can deliver a flood relief solution to the local area."
FP McCann's storm and foul water management systems offer the following benefits:-
- Flexibility of design - Adaption’s to meet client specification.
- Products can be used in space restrictive on-line sewer systems providing the required storage volume.
- Reduction in construction times.
- Quality assured and kite marked products used.
- Sustainable systems with design life in excess of 100 years.
- Site safety benefits related to reduction of man hours spent in excavation.
- Ease of access for maintenance via built in steps.
- Can be linked to other SUDS related systems such as rainwater capture and re-use.
Additional information on FP McCann's precast drainage systems visit www.fpmccann.co.uk.