DN1200 Easi-Base/Wide Wall manhole system adopted on exclusive Oxfordshire retail project
McLaren Construction, together with drainage and civil engineering firm, Hannon Brothers Ltd, utilised the FP McCann Easi-Base manhole system on the prestigious £80 million Banbury Gateway retail project, situated at Junction 11 of the M40.
Formerly the site of motorsport engineering specialist Prodrive, the 285,000 square foot shopping complex was developed by LXB Properties and will provide space for major retailers such as Marks and Spencer, Primark and Next.
Hannon Brothers installed a storm and foul drainage run comprising 35 no.DN1200 Easi-Base wide wall manhole units sited under the main through roads and parking fronting the development. The precast concrete drainage products were all procured through the Birmingham branch of MPS builders’ merchant.
Recognising the many benefits that the total pre-fabricated concrete manhole system offers over traditional methods of construction, contracts manager for Hannon’s, Richard Bayliss said, “Easi-Base, in conjunction with the wide wall chamber rings, provides a very fast and efficient means of constructing a manhole. From base to cover slab, the manhole build can be completed in less than one hour. Additionally, the robust design provides a durable, watertight installation with the requirement for a ready mix concrete surround eliminated.”
Increased site productivity due to the speed and ease of build is a major benefit of using the Easi-Base manhole system; traditional methods of chamber construction involving wet concrete and mortar trades can typically take up to 40 hours.
Key to its success is the following:
- An extremely fast, efficient and economical method of constructing a manhole
- Significant SHE benefits
- An immediate secure watertight structure allowing for other trades to instantly follow on
- Factory pre-fabrication of Easi-Base provides quality in channelling and benching and enables accurate combinations and variations for entry/exit pipes
- 130mm wide wall chamber rings eliminate the need for concrete backfilling
- Maintenance of channels and benches aided by clean access for inspection
- Environmental benefits from re-using excavated materials
- Approved in SfA 7th edition
- FP McCann also manufactures DN1500 and DN 1800 Easi-Base wide wall manhole units.